[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Tesla's Wireless Power Transmission ==> was Re: Non-tech Question

Hi Bill,

On 16 May 00, at 8:23, Tesla List wrote:

> Original Poster: "Bill Parn" <parn-at-starpower-dot-net>

<snip>

> I am convinced from what I read that he did indeed transmit power
> without wires.  Granted I have not read as much about this as I would
> like to, however here are two accounts I do remember reading about.
>
> Demonstration On A Stage:
> He setup a TC on one side of the stage, which power was applied to.
> He set up another unwired TC on the otherside of the stage tuned to
> the same frequency as the first, this one was not plugged in.  I believe
> he then attached a incandescent bulb in place of the spark gap.  The
> second TC was used as a step down transformer.  He turned the first
> one on and sure enough the bulb lit right on up.  Wireless power
> transmission using a fixed RF.
>
> Demonstration To The Navy -- in hopes of funding -- truly the first
> inventor of human concocted Radio Waves (not Marconi who really
> built on Telsa's ideas):
> Nikola Tesla built a radio controlled boat using his technology above
> with mods of course.  Not only did he use wireless power transmission
> to drive the motor propeller, he also used Radio Waves to control
> the throttle and rudder of the vessel.  Unforntanately the Navy did
> not fund him.  However the military branches use his unpaid for
> technology all the time in these current days.  It just took them
> 80 or so years to realize how truly important his invention and idea
> here really was in saving human lives on one side and possibly the
> other side during wartime.
>
> Hope this helps to convince that yes he did truly send wireless
> power transmission.  Hey has anybody on this list tried the
> first demonstration above.  Sounds like a cool/hot experiment
> to try.  :-)

I did it for a number of years as a demonstration for students here.

> Little off topic but we use microwaves transmit power all the
> time.  A friend of a friend lives next to a AM broadcasting
> station and he uses Nikola Tesla's ideas above to trickle
> charge marine batteries to power things in his home off of
> the radio broadcasting station.  Wireless power transmission.
> I think so.

I do this as well - to the extent of using a single tuned circuit and a
few feet of aerial wire to light a small bank of LEDs in my study from
a radio mast broadcasting around 1MHz less than a mile away. Not
a terribly efficient method however. Consider that the power you
pick up is proportional to the size of the collecting aerial and that
you leave what amounts to a detectable cone of silence in your
wake.

Regards,
Malcolm