[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Wives and Tesla Coils

I've seen some interesting posts in this thread.  I suppose optimally, the
secondary should produce the greater portion of the noise.  I'm currently
working on a crude coil (vodka bottle capacitors, copper tubing, a small
7500V transformer, 2 rusty bolts for the spark gap -- you get the
picture).  The coil seems to be pretty much untunable, and the wispy spark
off of the secondary is insignificant compared to the roar of the spark
gap.

For my best coils, if you didn't place any nearby grounds next to the
secondary (e.g. just the crackle and St. Elmo's fire), the noise output of
the secondary was more than, but comparable to the spark gap.  I had tuned
the coils by tweaking until I got maximum spark length (e.g. adjust the
primary until you got the maximum, then do the same for the spark gap,
then for C (salt water caps), and repeat the process over, and over, and
over again).  One of the problems with this method is that you can spend
a lot of time to find out that if your cap leaks like a seive, your coil
won't be all that great.

I'm wondering how some of the the other coilers on the list differentiate
between their "better" and "worse" coils (actually, I had fun building
even the worst of my coils).  Is secondary/spark gap sound a good measure?

                 - Aaron "Ban" Banerjee
                   (a.k.a.  A. Banerjee)