[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Wives and Tesla coils

Hello,

I've found that the single loudest type of gap is just what you have- a
non forced-air single static gap. If you break it up into multiple gaps,
the more you use the more quiet it will be. Somewhat surprising to me is
that the gap of mine that makes the least noise is my rotary, 120bps
synchronous.
Another alternative is to enclose the gap in a sound-dampened box. I've
used such a case that I believe once held an old printer, teletype
machine, or something like that.

-Grayson, The Electrophile  (and finally back on the list after a month
and a half abscence :-)

On Mon, 15 May 2000 18:28:55 -0600 Tesla List <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com> writes:
> Original Poster: spam_proof-at-worldnet.att-dot-net
>

> I've been trying to design a relatively high voltage coil (500kv)
> which
> doesn't have a loud spark gap.  I'm not a very advanced builder, and
> typically resort to crude equipment such as salt water capacitors,
> and two
> bolts for a spark gap.  I've tried various solid-state or tube
> amplifiers,
> but I never can quite get both the power and the frequency for
> decent
> output.
>
> The problem is my wife doesn't like some of the blasting sounds of
> my
> tesla coil, and as a result hates Tesla along with anyone and
> anything
> associated with him.  At one point in time, I tried to introduce her
> some of the Tesla's works, but she really isn't interested.  She's
> taken
> it as a given that I'm a nut, but would prefer if the tesla coil
> didn't
> make so much noise.
>
> Any assistance in building quiet (audio) but simple spark gaps would
> be
> appreciated.  Thanks in advance.
>                             - A. Banerjee

Juno now offers FREE Internet Access!