[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Better bottle caps?

In a message dated 5/24/2000 12:58:50 PM Mountain Daylight Time,
tesla-at-pupman-dot-com writes:

> Original Poster: "Michael Cox" <95moc-at-kings-school.co.uk>
>
>  I came across a metallic spray in a catalogue ( I don't have the catalogue
>  here, so no specs at the moment) and thought it might be the perfect thing
>  to replace salt water in bottle caps. Just spray it into the bottles stick
>  you electrode into the top and away you go. Has anyone else come across
>  this stuff before, how good a conductor is it? I'm guessing its better than
>  salt solution. Has anyone got any comments on this,
>

>  cheers,
>
>  Mike
I had a similar idea to use a silver nitrate solution and "mirror" the inside
and outside of the bottle.  It is not a very difficult process, but the glass
surface needs to be etched for good adherence(hot strong sodium hydroxide
solution would be ideal).  If I actually needed a cap, I would have given
this a try already.  If there is any interest in such a method I could spell
it out for you.  Many old chemistry text books will have the method since it
was widely used prior to amber glass for storing light sensitive chemicals.
Mike H.