[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Better Electrode Material

Hi Dave,

> Original Poster: "David Huffman" <huffman-at-fnal.gov>
>
> Hello All,
> Just a thought here. Has anyone ever tested the effect of various metals in
> a spark gap? I remember hearing zinc is bad for several reasons. Brass is
> zinc and copper so maybe it would not be the best choice. It would be nice
> to know the performance of a SG with different types of metals.
> Dave Huffman

In my experience, the higher the melting point the better. Such
material allows easier quench. It is possible if not probable that lower
melting point materials will lower gap dissipation somewhat but will be
more difficult to quench. Anyway, you can reduce gap losses by
making primary surge impedance high.

Regards,
Malcolm