[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: E tesla mods ( was Optimal toroid elevation)

----------
> From: Tesla List <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>
> To: tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
> Subject: Re: Optimal toroid elevation
> Date: Thursday, May 25, 2000 9:21 PM
>
> Original Poster: "Mark Broker" <broker-at-uwplatt.edu>
>
> Jeff and Terry,
>
> I am (very intermittently) working on a C++ version of E-Tesla5.1.  I
intend to
> include this in the program.  Unfortunately, I ran into a couple of big
> setbacks
> (it's quite difficult to use a quick, efficient, variably sized 2D
array/matrix
> in C++, among a few others), and temporarily lost interest.  Since my
fiance is
> going to Spain next month (leaves Sunday) to study abroad (without me :-(
 ),
> I'll probably get bored with Half-life and TV, and start working on it
again.

> I don't need to do much work at this point to get a version like Terry's
out,
> but I'm trying to add the grayscale (maybe even colors :-) output, and
also a
> non "Ctrl-C" break.
>
> I just thought I'd let  both of you know.  I'll make a post to the TCML
> when I'm
> ready for some beta testers.
>
> Mark
>
> BTW, C++ is supposed to be considerably faster than BASIC, tho I can't
recite
> benchmarks, nor compare E-Tesla 5.1 to TeslaEField (my version).

I wouldn't count on there being much speed difference.  Once the VB program
is compiled, the core numerical computations (say, in loops) will be about
the same (I'd guess within 20%).  Most of the graphics stuff is in library
routines and will be the same either way.  The trick in VB (or any
language) is to make sure that variables are declared appropriately, i.e.
indices as integers or longs, and the variables as singles or doubles and
not the default variants.