[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Ten foot arcs and next UK Teslathon

Greetings All,

I'ld like to thank everyone who came to the Corby
on Saturday, we had about 25 people, 5 coils and
a very impressive Bon Di Grap makine.

With a lot of help from my friends we managed to get 10 feet out
of my big coil. I hope this won't stand for very long as the
current UK record. Difficult to know how much power was going in
probably 6 to 9KW..

The MMC didn't  get warm at all -  my mmc is 20 strings of 9   0.047uF,
1500V DC
polyprop caps 900V/uS we then added some of Richie's mmc caps to give about
190nF total.

Some sparks from the RSG - there is now some yellow oxide on the tungsten
electrodes.

I have a few ideas for getting twelve feet out of it :) see the end for
coil specs

I have written up the event, the coil, the new toriod, and pictures of how
to make
a cheap grinder into an rsg on my web page:

http://ourworld-dot-compuserve-dot-com/homepages/alansharp/

And as people are already asking - I hope to hold the next
on on the last Saturday of May 2001.

Terry - please kill any threads of spelling corrections :)

Alan Sharp (UK)

Secondary coil.
  Form 9.25" X 50", Wind length 45", H/D ratio 4.86:1
  Wire 1mm (18AWG), Turns/inch 23.5, No turns 1057
  Wire length 2491.80 ft, Wire weight 5.51 kg
  Inductance 46.07 mH, Self C 18.43 pF
  Frequency 172.72 KHz (last 7 figures are calculated - not measured)

  Primary coil.
  Inside dia 11", Conductor dia 0.312"
  Space between turns 0.25", Number of turns 13
  Total inductance 0.0919 mH

  Toroid.
  D1 34",   D2 8", Capacitance 42pF
  Secondary frequency with toroid 95kHz

  Power supply 3*8kV 250mA trans (total output   750mA)
  input power was probably 6 - 9 kW

Cap size 0.19uF MMC
My mmc is 20 strings of 9   0.047uF, 1500V DC polyprp caps 900V/uS
we then added some of Richie's mmc caps.

  Tap point 5 on primary