Re: Torid connection?

In a message dated 10/31/00 10:48:35 AM Pacific Standard Time,
tesla-at-pupman-dot-com writes:

> I just finished my first ever torid made of 4" aluminum dryer duct. I had
> planned to solder the seam and the connection from the secondary- before I
> found that soldering aluminum is apparently impossible. I used epoxy on the
> seam, and now Im wondering what's the best method to attach the secondary
> wire to the torid?
> ________________________

I use pvc pipe couplings.  I have a pvc end cap glued upside down on top of
the secondary.  Then I have a short piece of pvc pipe inserted in the end
cap.  Now I slide another end cap on top of the short piece of pipe.  This
end cap has a 1/4" hole drilled in it and a nylon bolt epoxied in the hole so
it sticks up about 1.0".  The wire from the secondary is just scraped bare of
insulation and loosely wrapped around the bolt.  All my toroids have a hole
drilled in the center so you mount them by just setting them over the nylon
bolt then use a nylon washer and wing nut to attach them.  This makes
changing toroids quick and easy, completes the electrical connection to the
toroid easily and makes the height of the toroid above the secondary easy to
change by having several lengths of pvc pipe to use.

Ed Sonderman