Re: SRSG options

Hi Brad,

Here is a web page of someone who has done exactly that, he has a lot of
complicated digital
controller circuitry to make an unmodified asynchronous DC or AC motor run
synchronously AND allowing fine adjustment of the phase angle while the coil
is running. He provides schematics of everything.

http://home.earthlink-dot-net/~electronxlc/construct/RSGcontroller.html

A quote from that page:

 "My motor controller is designed to use a DC or AC motor to drive a
synchronous rotary spark gap. A synchronous RSG only fires at specific
points on the AC waveform that charges the tank capacitor. Mine is
configured to allow maximum energy bursts by firing at every peak of the
charging waveform which is 120 times per second (for 60Hz AC line).

        Usually, synchronous RSG's are built using a synchronous AC motor,
which runs at a specific speed corresponding to the AC frequency. The phase
of gap firing is adjusted by rotating the motor body so the shaft is at the
correct angle to fire during the peaks of the sine wave. However, my digital
motor controller allows easy and fine adjustment of phase angle from a safe
distance while the Tesla coil is in operation. "  Matt Behrend

Regards,

Alan Williams