Re: Problems with "true" RMS Readings

> Original poster: Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-uswest-dot-net>
>
> Hi Harvey,
>
> 	Both my digital scope (60MHz) and my fancy HP
> 34401a (200kHz at 6 digits
> (I paid more than you did ;-)) do true RMS
> measurement to a bazaar level.
> It takes a while to get used to those readings
> compared to the old 'peak
> level times 0.707' meters.  All these meters use one
> of the popular true
> RMS chips in them which are all very good.  It does
> not sound like your
> meter is bad as long as it is measure something
> within an order of magnitude.
>
> 	""True RMS meters read the equivalent DC voltage
> that would heat a
> resistor up as much as the odd waveform you are
> measuring.""
>
> 	The old meters will just read the peak value and
> multiply it by 0.707
> assuming that it is a sine wave, but they could be
> very far off while the
> true RMS device will be very accurate.
> Unfortunately, I must tell you that
> you should probably take all your old meters back
> and keep the new one ;-)
> True RMS meters are a wonder that modern electronics
> has brought us normal
> folks.  My scope and HP meter cost about a $1000
> each, but 10 years ago
> they would have cost 10X that.  For most things, the
> true RMS value is what
> we want.  The old meters are just all they could do
> with a diode and a
> resistor...  Since many things use sine waves that
> was usually enough.
> Doing the true real-time Root Mean Squared
> calculation requires some pretty
> heavy duty A/D converter and fast math power.
>
> 	I would be typing all night explaining all the
> ins-and-outs of RMS
> voltages and currents but rest assured that the
> meter is doing it's job
> well and you will find it a valuable tool.
> Oscilloscopes that have RMS
> readouts really make things obvious since you can
> see the messy signal and
> directly associated it with the RMS value.
I'll take your word for now, but I still dont see how
the discrepancies can be accounted for. In the large
amperage case we have what might be suspected: a
reading below the ordinary rms reading, actually
indicating less of the quantity of full sine wave
present. I have also used sensitive AC analogue meters
that indicate an amperage consumption of the 56/59
henry coils placed into the reverse condition made
when the circuit is connected between the series
resonant midpoints whereupon it then consumes q
squared less measured amperage. As I have indicated
that amperage is normally measured at .25 ma. No
mathematical argument can then turn what is supposed
to be a smaller resultant quantity, or  realistic
percentage on true rms value to be smaller: which in
the smaller amperage case instead reveals itself
instead as a much larger  comparative amperage shown
on the Quote "true" rms: instead several hundred
percent greater than the known quantities! So first
you have a smaller"true" value and then later on as a
different reading as a greater ratio "true" value/ how
can this be?
It is what it is: a piece of sheisse for making small
amperage mesurements, much better made by the former
pieces.
In Stubborn Attitude HDN

=== message truncated ===

=====