Re: Tungsten

In a message dated 11/2/00 2:31:22 PM Eastern Standard Time, tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
writes:

> It doesn`t take more than a couple of minutes, to cut a 5/16" rod of
>  2%thorium/tungsten with an ordinary hacksaw, equipped with an (around)
>  30 teeth per inch High Speed Steel (HSS) blade.
>
>  There are fancier methods around, but this is the one I resort to every
>  time still.
>
>  Once cut, mount the bits in an electric drill, and rotate them with it,
>  while you press the end of the electrode-to -be against a grinding
>  wheel, or a belt sander. Be garefull if you use a grinding wheel, it
>  tends to knock the electrode/drilllingmachine back untill a nice true
>  surface is obtained.

Finn, all,

I wonder how healthy it is to breathe the thorium dust?  I guess
you use a respirator and do the work outside, and throw out the
respirator afterwards?  Or am I over-concerned about the
radioactive dust?

John Freau