Re: Pic's of Biggg Coil

  Hi Rick

  Thanks for the comments on the Biggg Coil.   The old 8" coil produced
10.5' sparks with 50 amps at 240 volts running around 600 B.P.S. a-sync.
....The big coil has 24' sparks running 110 amps with 120 B.P.S.   I
would say the Biggg coil is more effiecient at this time only requiring
double the power for twice the spark.   There are fewer problems, and a
lot less primary heat with the Biggg coil.   It is a tame coil to run
with no breakdowns, however setup is a lot harder!   The sparks are more
intense and longer in duration.  Also note the secondary inductance of
both coils are almost the same, around 95 mH.

The power source are two 7200 volt, 10 & 15 kVA pig's in series for
14,400 volts.
Capacitor bank 0.173 uF -at-80 kV d.c.
Sync. rotary at 120 B.P.S. with series vacuum quench gap in series with.
Primary 5/8" copper tubing tapped at 8 turns.
All connections made with 1.5" brass ribbon.
Auxillary air blower on the rotary gap electrodes.
Secondary 2' x 10' wound with #14 T.H.H.N. copper wire for about 9.5' on
the open form.
Weight of secondary, 250 LB
Toroid 8' dia major, 4' minor, chicken wire wrapped high density
styrofoam structure.
No breakouts installed on toroid.
Sound of big sparks at 120 B.P.S. on a quiet night in the country,
awsome!

Coiling in Oklahoma
Kevin

>What a picture, 24 feet is an awesome accomplishment.
>
>I am still pondering the issue of high sec. turns vs standard sec
>turns and
>wanted to ask your thoughts, as I remember your 8" coil seemed to
>perform
>very well
>with ~2300 sec. turns.
>
>How would you compare it to this Biggg coils performance as far as
>arc
>brightness/color with
>fewer turns in the sec.
>
>Also would you mind recapping the final specs. on your Biggg Coil for
>all of
>us on the list?
>
>Rick L. Kirby

Juno now offers FREE Internet Access!