Re: Sonotube's high RF loss!...yes or no?

> The neat thing is that when the plastic tube
> is melting away and collapsing that the cardboard tube next  to the
> bubbling plastic tube still retains its shape and integrity while the
> plastic tube deforms and collapses!  So what are we to gather here? Is
> the ultimate Telas coil secondary/tertiary wound in plastic or cardboard?

Now how about using no coil form at all?

Surely someone must have already thought of that and tried it? How did
it work out?

Like:
- wrap baking / wax paper around any coil former, then wind the wire
on top of that, treat the outside with many layers of varnish to get
some thickness to it, then slide out former and easily peel off the
baking paper. Then also treat the inside with plenty of varnish, and
let the thing dry for a couple of days.
- instead of mounting the topload on the coil, how about three
plexiglass (or other plastic) rods inside the secondary to support it?
Just so that the secondary won't collapse under that load... :o)

=> as there's only air plus three thin plastic rods inside, all
dielectric losses should be contributed solely by the varnish.

(hmm but air will probably be more moist than any plastic... ? ;o)

 - Jan

--
 high voltage at http://www.hut.fi/~jwagner/tesla