Re: Mega-Sized Secondaries

In a message dated 11/5/00 10:14:17 AM Pacific Standard Time,
tesla-at-pupman-dot-com writes:

<< i think that for a beginner to jump in, feet first, and build a pig powered
 system, they would loose the benefit of "the learning curve", i mean, with
 this system, and no prior experience, the output could be so disappointing
 due to lack of tuning skills, that a coiler could be turned off by the cost
 over satisfaction formula. >>

Marc, Al, all,

Another problem with a beginner "jumping in feet first" to build a
pig powered system is the shear DANGER of it. I think there is a
personal experience over personal danger factor that a beginning
coiler should consider before leaping into a high powered system.
A neon sign xfmr can knock the snot out of ya, but a pole pig can
knock the LIFE out of you! I think all of us coilers go thru a learning
curve that generally renders it really unsafe for a beginner to tackle a
piggy. I got zapped a couple of times in my early days of coiling but
thankfully, the power levels were small (OBIT). If I had been messing
with a pig in those days, I probably wouldn't be here talking to you
guys right now! As the experience/danger factor dictates, one is never
completely free of the danger denominator when working with high
voltages, but the more available experience one has, the lesser the
danger becomes in proportion. Or, to put a little differently, personal
experience is inversely proportionate to personal danger. Just MHO.

Keeping 'em Sparkin' in Memphis,
David Rieben