Re: Secondary Q

In a message dated 11/6/00 1:48:34 PM Eastern Standard Time, tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
writes:

> Original poster: "Kennan C Herrick" <kcha1-at-juno-dot-com>
>
>  2.48?...A Q of 2.48??  I am shocked!...shocked!  Here, during all these
>  years of thinking about Tesla coils--over 60 of them, I will have you
>  know!--I've been under the misapprehension that Tesla-coilers depended
>  upon, cherished and highly valued...resonance!  But no..., no..., no...
>  Q?...who needs it?  Resonance, even...who needs it?  With the power and
>  voltage of a Grand Coulee or a TMI or even, in better times, of a
>  Chernobyl, coupled thru a vast pile of pole pigs, who needs resonance?

Ken,

Beware of those shocks    :)
Due to the damped wave situation of a spark gap TC, not much
resonant rise can occur, esp when loaded by sparks.  This is
why the lumped constants generally apply.  I don't know what the
loaded Q's (or unloaded Q's) of my coils are, but I do strive for
efficiency.  I obtain 42" sparks from a 12/30 NST using certain
principles that I consider helpful to the efficiency.  (defining efficiency
here as spark length vs. input power.  I know this is not a true
engineering definition of efficiency, but it's a useful measure I
think).  I suppose a high Q is helpful for storing energy from cycle
to cycle, and during the initial build-up, etc.

>  I've always likened Tesla-coilers to those profound Asian monks who
>  ritually bong upon their magnificent bronze gongs.  But no, most of you
>  just pour on the coal.  While I strive to maximize output while
>  minimizing input, your goal is to maximize output while maximizing input.

It is true that many coilers do use this approach, and are not much
concerned about efficiency.  I'm happy to say there are quite a few
coilers, many of whom I've had the pleasure of conversing with, who
*are* concerned with efficiency.

>  Who cares if you can fry eggs on your secondaries?  It keeps the shop
>  warm.  Q of 0?  Not a problem!

Filled with wonder, hope, and coiling optimism in NJ,
John Freau