RE: MOV`s voltage/resistance curve

I think I've heard of at least one person smoking these devices due to
applied overvoltage.  This is easy to do, simply by opening a static gap too
widely, and chances are that you won't know there's a problem until it's too
late.

I also plan to incorporate these surge absorbers into my protection network
(behind a long list of other to-do's!).  I plan to couple one of them
nearest to ground to a bimetallic N.O. thermostat, that will turn on a
battery powered beeper in the event that the string starts clamping and
getting hot.

Regards, Gary Lau
Waltham, MA USA

Original poster: "Marco Denicolai" <Marco.Denicolai-at-tellabs.fi>

Hi Finn.

Here is the data I have got from Panasonic datasheets:

Voltage -at- 1 mA : 1800V (1700 - 1980V)
Maximum voltage: 1000 VACrms or 1465 VDC
Clamping voltage (max): 2970V -at- 5 0A
Rated power: 0.6 W
Max. energy: 510J (10/1000us) , 360J (2ms)
MAx. peak current (8/20us): 5000A (1 time) , 4500A (2 times)
Max. capacitance: 120 pF -at- 1 kHz

All the curves given are voltage vs. current or surge current vs. pulse
width.
Nothing else is given by Panasonic.

Regards

P.S. 10/1000us and similar are standard pulses: 10 us rise time, 1000 us
decay
time.