Re: Bleeder resisters

All:
A word of warning!!  Do not trust your life to bleeder resistors.  Both metal
film and wire wound of any wattages can and do open up,  That leaves you with
a fully charged condenser.  The most practical thing to do is to short them
to ground with a grounding rod.  This is an insulated rod, about 3 feet long,
having a hook of 1/4 " diam. copper or brass rod at one end.  A convenient
length of heavy copper braid is bolted and soldered to the end hook where it
is attached to the insulated rod.   The other end of the braid is connected
to ground.   Turn the power off and then short all capacitors to ground and
themselves before touching any part of the circuit.  I have seen the ends of
ground rods burnt off because of open bleeder resistors.  I also was around
when a guy got killed reaching into a radio transmitter without using a
grounding rod.  You guessed it!  There was an open bleeder resistor across
the power supply capacitors.  Bleeder resistors are often needed, but don't
trust them to protect you life.

Ray