Re: D'oh! Dead NST!

In a message dated 11/11/00 8:13:28 PM Pacific Standard Time,
tesla-at-pupman-dot-com writes:

<< Original poster: "sundog" <sundog-at-timeship-dot-net>  >> wrote:

<< Post-mortems on the NST's in question weren't
good.  2 more died a pretty horrible death, carbon-tracking all the
way out to the bushing (I know this because one popped it was so
hot), and generally becoming useless.  I'm now down to 2 trannies
out of 6....12/60....ugh >>

Hi Sundog,

This is just a thought, but have you considered taking the next big
step in coiling ( going with a piggy )? You can get them fairly rea-
sonable from transformer supply companies like T&R or Solomon
( a 10 kVA, 14400 volt single phase pole mount usually runs around
$300 ), but I would try to find a local rebuild shop that would sell you one.
I picked up one from a transformer rebuilder in Greenwood, MS. (about
a 2 1/2 hr drive from me) for $270 and I hauled it home in my truck.
This way I was able to eliminate the shipping charges. With an arc welder
input in series with the 240 volt input to the pig, and the welder output
shorted, you can manage the output power of the beast and keep it
down to a reasonable level and in the long run, it would probably save
you money because these things are built like Ft. Knox. And though they
are not designed for coiling per se, powering a large Tesla coil with one
definitely stays well within its design voltage and current envelope. And
if it's big sparks you want, a pig is definitely the way to go!

Keeping 'em Sparkin' in Memphis,
David Rieben