Re: Washing machine motor

In a message dated 11/13/00 12:44:21 AM Eastern Standard Time,
tesla-at-pupman-dot-com writes:

> > I would like to sync this motor, and my current plan is work out which
>  > terminals are used to run the motor in its two pole mode,
>  > and then grind two very small flats and gradually enlarge them until a
>  > notch in the shaft stays in the same position relative to the case.

I just ignore the dead pole concept and make the 2 flats somewhere
between 1/3rd and 1/2 the armature diameter.  As you say, you can
start small and see how it works.  Look for good lock-up torque, with
minimum removal of metal.  The motor will draw more current and
get hotter as you remove more metal.  It's not all that critical.

John Freau