RE: Primary loss measurements

Hi John:

Yes, thinking more about it, I'm sure you're right.  The equivalent
resistance calculation that Bert suggested takes into account only
inductance and time to ringdown.  If a ringdown were to start at a higher or
lower initial voltage, the calculated resistance would also be
correspondingly lower or higher.  Also, I believe Terry has a much higher
inductance primary than what I was using, and that would also directly
affect the calculated resistance.  I'm in the process of rebuilding by coil
with a much higher L primary to put into practice what we both have found
about gap losses and high surge impedance.  It will be interesting to re-do
the loss measurements due to primary proximity and see if they scale with
total tank resistance, or stay the same.

Regards, Gary Lau
Waltham, MA USA