RE: Air blast SG question

Comparing wide gap, small air flow with narrow gap, high air flow is not a
valid comparison.  The gap width determines the gap breakdown voltage,
largely independent of (reasonable) airflow, and Vgap is something that you
want set to one value, regardless of other system variables.  Thus, only one
gap width is correct.

I have done experiments with several single static gaps.  Air flow was
essential in all of them, but the actual degree was not at all critical.
Anything above a certain modest amount seemed adequate, and increasing air
flow above that level offered no increase in performance.  Performance was
dismal below that threshold value.

I believe that single static gaps don't quench as well as multiple static
gaps, though this may only be when there are not attached streamers.  When
there are streamers, quenching kind of comes naturally.  And I further
believe that single static gaps offer significantly lower gap losses than do
multiple static gaps, and will give better performance.

See my web site for details on construction and measurements:
http://people.ne.mediaone-dot-net/lau/tesla/tesla.htm
<http://people.ne.mediaone-dot-net/lau/tesla/tesla.htm>

Gary Lau
Waltham, MA USA