Re: Air blast SG question

Hi Luc.  We tried a single gap with compressed air quenching on our
modified dual 15/60 system.  It worked very well, and really helped
output (streamer length).  We used pressures of 40 to 100 psi at 2cfm.
We used a variety of outlet nozzles at varying distances from the gap.
Our best work was with the cheap little oil burner nozzles as an orifice,
they come in just about any spray pattern and output (gph) imaginable!
The .60 fan spray worked good at 2 cfm -at-100psi But we had to close down
the gap a bit to make it work, although the arc output was dramatically
increased when we found the right combination, but backing the nozzle off
from the gap would also have worked.  It was a worthwhile struggle
however to try to get the right amount of air, at just the right
distance. It was an interesting study!  We also drilled some nozzles out
with small twist bits of varying sizes in an attempt to find the best
orifice, and they worked ok too, but each size of air outlet and pressure
meant a rework of the proper distance and air flow through the nozzle to
get just the right quenching, and also required resetting the length of
the single gap.    The nozzles all worked best with the integral filter
screen removed from the inner cavity.  We also used a 1/4" id air hose
direct from the pump, but it did not work very well to 'blow' out the
gap.  Maybe a bigger air pump with more cfm would work in that fashion.
Another idea that we thought of was using the original oil pump of an old
oil burner and somehow getting the draft from the blower fan of the oil
burner gun to compress back into the oil pump via a reducing plenum and
use it as a modified air pump..  Oh, and also, those electrode sets from
old oil burner guns make an excellent single spark gap for
experimentation!   Someday, what I would really like to do is get a big
enough air pump to quench my R.Q. 7 point gap, but that would take a
compressor capable of probably 10 cfm or more and that is out of my
reach. Another idea is to use the nozzle of a paint spray gun as an air
blast, maybe a fat, nasty undercoating spray nozzle would work good!
Al.