RE: Secondary Profile Measurement Paper

Hi John,

	One way to look at it too is that the top terminal voltage should simply
be the base voltage multiplied by the Q of the coil.  The bare coil Q was
73.3 with a 0.6606VACrms or 0.93423Vpeak in.  That would suggest a terminal
voltage of 0.93423 x 73.3 = 68.48 volts  I measured 69.12 volts in the bare
coil case which was far less affected by the room dynamics (me working near
the coil).

In the terminated voltage case I input 1.00 volts peak into a Q of 163.6
and got a top voltage of 154.76.

I must point out that these measurements are not at all easy to take and I
know the terminated coil was affected some by my crawling around on the
concrete floor around the coil.  I tried to stay in the same place for the
testing and all that but there was some error sneaking in.  So I am not
confident trying to draw super precise conclusions from the data.  Unlike
the 70 year olds counting votes in Florida at 2AM, I don't totally trust my
results to greater than 5% accuracy.  Perhaps others (young people that can
crawl around for four hours on the floor without being all wrecked the next
day ;-)) can repeat the tests to get some independent data...  I should
point out the my results and Paul's computer model (which he did before my
measurements) match very well.  So we are finally getting this secondary
voltage thing pinned down.

http://www.abelian.demon.co.uk/tssp/pn2510/
http://www.abelian.demon.co.uk/tssp/pn1710/

My guess is that the base voltage multiplied by the coil's Q gives the top
voltage.  I can easily accept my tests differing from that value as
experimental error.

Paul's computer work may help with such determinations since one knows and
can measure a computer model to extreme precision.  It is also interesting
to think about doing the actual measurements on a fully powered coil with a
more robust and higher voltage probe.  However, controlling such a full
powered experiment and all the variables would be a real challenge!

Cheers,

	Terry