Re: arrgh! ignition coil failure!

I tried the dimmer with an ordinary light bulb, and it stays at what I guess
is maximum brightness for the whole range on the dimmer.  So tomorrow I'll
get another dimmer, which should hopefully fix it!  Thanks for your help Ed
and everyone,  I had no idea that the dimmer was so important :)

Another idea - would the coil run satisfactorily off the 12v side of a
240v-12v transformer?

Thanks everyone,
      Henry