Re: Warning Desasterous MMC failures, Rotton caps from Mouser.

Hi Garry,

>I purchased some 2kv polypropelene .033 uF caps for an MMC of three strings
>of 15 caps for a total cost for the caps of $85 and they stink to high
>heaven!! The caps were substituted by rolled tube type caps of equivalent
>properties but these caps differ greatly from the usual caps in that the
>shell is a white gladwrap thin plastic that allows arching between the caps
>unless the caps are separated by some sort of insulation.
>
>When I plugged in the MMC, a cap blows every three seconds a cap would blow,
>Now I no longer have enough caps to repair the MMC and I would have to order
>a minimum of 50 more caps from Mouser.

I would be happy to look over and help with finding what went wrong with
and fixing the cap.  I would not think it would have such sever problems?

>I want to warn people not to use tube type caps unless you isolate each and
>every cap from the accompanying bleeder resisters and caps next to them.

This seems to be a real problem.  I will update my site info on this.

>I am unwilling to waste any more money on trying to make this tesla coil
>work for a reasonably good run. I have a cap Terry Fritz sent and it works
>fine except it does get hot fast.
>
>This final last frustrating and discouraging loss and disgusting failure of
>a cap marks the end of my hobby as a tesla coiler.
>
>I request removal from the tesla list effective December 1st.

:-((  Sorry to hear you are so discouraged.  But you will have to go with
your feeling there...  You will have to officially unsubscribe since Chip
and I don't remember "things to do"...

>Thanks for all the good advice, but I have had quite enough torture trying
>to get something that lasts and I have to call and end to this spending
>money like I was bill gates only to get such rotton results.
>
>Thanks especially to Terry Fritz. Happy coiling and may you walk in the light.

And thanks to you too Garry.  I have that wonderful picture of yours as
background on all my PCs.

http://hot-streamer-dot-com/TeslaCoils/Misc/GarryFreemyer.bmp

Cheers,

	Terry