Re: Sync gap test

Original poster: "sundog" <sundog-at-timeship-dot-net>

Hi All, Ed,

 Welcome to the wonderful world of SRSG's!   You went about phasing
it very well, and I'm happy to hear you're using a saftey gap.  A
flourescent light and 2 pieces of tape on the disc can help you
determine where the electrode is at the peak of the AC cycle.  I
once thought that it had to be "exact", but to tell you the truth,
it's pretty flexible within the "sweet spot".  Running more
capacitance will help, as it'll pull the natural breakrate down
(takes longer to charge up).  If you can, go LTR on it, and drop to
120 bps.  I saw the biggest increases doing this.  Keep in mind
you'll tune further in with more capacitance, increasing the surge
current.  Tends to heat the caps up faster, I've found.
  And despite what most "non coilers" think, a well-running 120bps
sync gap is music to *my* ears.  Though my earplugs of course ;)
  Not getting any longer sparks may be due to the small size of
your tank cap.  A smaller cap hits it's peak voltage very quickly,
and on a static gap, runs a pretty high breakrate.  I bet adding
more capacitance will help a lot.  I found my 1000bps gap ran well
on just 4nf on a 9/60, whereas 12nf on the high breakrate suffered
horrible performance, the gap not firing every presentation, etc.

                              Hope my $.02 helps!
                                                Sundog