Re: MMC from Microwave Caps

Original poster: "Jason Johnson" <hvjjohnson13-at-hotmail-dot-com>

----- Original Message -----
From: Tesla list <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>
To: <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>
Sent: Thursday, November 30, 2000 9:59 AM
Subject: Re: MMC from Microwave Caps

> Original poster: "Bert Hickman" <bert.hickman-at-aquila-dot-net>
>
> Alan,
>
> All of the problems you mention are real. In addition, the dielectric in
> these caps is usually Mylar, which tends to be quite lossy when stressed
> with RF. This leads to reduced coil performance and internal capacitor
> heating. Since these caps are hermetically sealed units, dielectric and
> plate heating in Tesla Coil use can create an overpressure situation.
> Metal-cased [or even worse, glass-enclosed (Glassmike)]

I tried using glassmikes once. I set up a simple spark gap test with two
MOTs and a .1 ufd 5kvdc glassmike. I plugged the cord in and the gap fired
once, as it did the glassmike detonated sending the glass casing all over. I
never did find one of the metal endpieces which took off like a rocket
across the garage. Also the non-viscous silicon oil in them is a pain to
clean up. I'll bet the failure was due to overvolting the cap, but I had
tried the same thing with a polyester cap of similar ratings (.1ufd 6kdvc)
with no problems. I did this while looking for a cheap cap and decided that
even though glassmikes are easy to get with similar ratings much cheaper
than MMCs they're not suited to tesla coil duty at all. "I" would try the
microwave caps, but put them in a box made of some plywood and plexiglass,
and maybe some oil for cooling (make sure to seal the box good first!). I
think that they should stand up to the current, but the frequency could be a
problem for heating. If you try them and they don't explode or something let
me know cause I'd like to get a hold of some more microwaves.

Jason Johnson

Mylar caps have