Re: FW: secondary wavelength-matching/s.s. drive

John & all-

You know, I've not paid too much attention to those formulas, for these
reasons that I reiterate:

1.  I don't need to calculate Fr; my system tunes itself.

2.  I persist in viewing the optimum toroid as nothing more than the
means for allowing the secondary voltage to rise to near the maximum that
would otherwise be available (with a super-optimum toroid).  Not >to< the
maximum, since there would then be no spark, but sufficiently near it so
that a) near-maximum energy has become stored in the secondary and b) a
spark will break out with regularity.

The optimum toroid must have a) an o.d. sufficiently large so as to
adequately shield the top turns of the secondary against spark break-out
from them and b) a smallest effective cross-sectional diameter (taking
into account surface irregularities) only large enough so that break-out
from it occurs comfortably below the maximum voltage that could otherwise
appear.  It seems to me that the o.d. is pretty easy to choose; a fairly
wide variation is OK with respect to the coil o.d.  The surface
smoothness and c.s. diameter, however, are critical factors; lack of
smoothness will shoot all to heck any assumption one might make as to a
required c.s. diameter.  Hence the [expected and anticipated!] 32 u-inch
smoothness specification on those commercial toroids that are on order.

I just see a can of worms in regard to trying to calculate the optimum
toroid for use with the ordinary double-tuned, open-loop (i.e., not-
frequency-regulated) spark-gap Tesla coil, for these reasons:

1.  A well-constructed secondary coil will have a fairly high Q and thus
its resonant-frequency peak will be fairly sharp.  And the exact
frequency of that peak, and the Q of the coil, will be strongly
influenced by the presence of electrical conductors in the vicinity of
the coil.

2.  We depend critically on the secondary's self-resonance and Q to boost
the voltage.  But the voltage we might get is also going to be strongly
affected by a) the match between the primary's and the secondary's
resonant frequencies, which will vary in uncontrolled ways; b) the
coupling between primary and secondary which is ordinarily pretty
unquantifiable; c) the rate of decay of the primary's damped oscillation
which is strongly dependent on the resistance of the spark gap and its
variation over time; d) the actual voltage, and its variation over time,
at which the gap fires; e) the propensity of conductors adjacent to the
secondary to absorb energy and thus reduce the attainable voltage; and no
doubt a host of other factors I don't know about.

So there are a lot of factors not satisfactorily quantified.  In my
system, what remains not quantified are a) actual secondary Q at any
instant; b) actual secondary Fr at any instant but I don't care about
that; c) primary:secondary coupling; and d) energy absorption by adjacent
conductors.  So I would still have a problem in choosing an optimum
toroid.  What I have done is just cut the Gordian knot and order one of
the 6" x 24" toroids.  I'm pretty sure it's going to break out with a
satisfactorily-long spark, especially when I finish my present task of
doubling my primary current since with my present current I get 2 ft.
sparks from a corrugated toroid, with the voltage rising to only 3/5 or
so of the available maximum.  But that's fuzzy reasoning; I wish I could
do better.

The fundamental problem with toroids is, of course, that one can't tweak
their diameters to suit the voltage one happens to be able to attain.  I
thought once that I'd designed one where I could, but I failed to
understand the necessity for extreme surface-smoothness.

On the subject of efficiency--

What we all >really< mean by that is shown by the formula, 100 x
(ZAP!)/(input power), expressing percent efficiency.  But unfortunately,
ZAP! is hard to quantify.  The other way of expressing it is how I did
and that can be quantified.

Ken Herrick

Juno now offers FREE Internet Access!
http://dl.www.juno-dot-com/get/tagj.