Re: MMC Cap Results. WOW!

Hi Garry and All,

Wow! This is cool!

For the record, Gary's cap is simply 15 x 0.056uF 1600 volt Panasonic caps
in a single string.  The RMS current is from 3 to 3.7 amps depending on how
many caps Garry uses for his system.  As it turns out, RMS current is
fairly consistent for a given coil as the primary capacitance varies.  The
current may get a little high for a single string but the caps tend to be
run under voltage which increase their current handling a bit too.  This
cap has taps between each of the small caps so that Garry can select a
fairly wide range of values.  Garry reports in another mail that the 6.23
tap works best which is slightly below the resonant point for his NST.
MMCs can be made to have very fine adjustment although this has not been
pursued very much.  Probably time to look into this more since find
capacitance tuning is fairly easy and seems to offer advantages...

BTW - Adding more strings will not change the performance.  If you add a
string, you will have to double the number of caps in the strings so the
losses stay the same regardless.  Also, the losses in an MMC are really
insignificant overall and can be ignored other than the effect loss has on
cap heating.

The racing arcs can be stopped by raising the secondary an inch or two
higher above the primary to lower the coupling a little.  Somebody asked
what increments to use for this.  I would "guess" 1/4 inch for a small
coil, 1/2 inch for a medium coil, and 1 inch increments for a large coil.

Many thinks to Garry for enthusiastically helping with my little pet
project!  I could not have asked for better feedback and the opportunity to
study a first timer's experiences with MMCs (actually this is an EMMC) and
how they compare to the usual "cheap" caps.  Garry is only using 9 caps at
6.23nF so the cost at that point is only about $15.  It good to know that
it has not blown up yet too.  Since Garry has blown a number of other caps,
we can see how he finds the reliability of this compared to his others.
The cap is running right at 1600 volts peak per cap at around 3.5 amps now.
 The recent NST study suggested that this configuration, even at resonance,
should be reliable.

BTW - Be sure the safety gaps and main gaps stay properly set.  The voltage
can skyrocket to like 60kV at resonance if they were to both fail.
Although, there is an odd chance the cap would act as a safety gap, I would
not count on that! ;-))

I don't recommend others go trying single strings.  Garry's cap is highly
experimental and has a fair amount of planning behind it.  Others may blow
the caps easily in different coil configurations and I would think the
chance of getting it right randomly would be low...  Hopefully these
results can be used to find ways to design them reliably, but right now, it
is all "bleeding edge" stuff.

Cheers,

	Terry

snip...