Re: tesla coil funds

Jeremiah,

I have the same problem :) Especially with a family to consider......As for
the "aquisition" of parts for  coils, THe great thing about these things is
that they can indeed be made from junk to a great extent. I do indeed get
some of my material from work (don't tell) and other stuff comes from my
"connections"....people I know in certain fields, like electricians, and the
like. I got a three phase stack of variacs for the upcoming big coil for free
because one of them was burned out.... about 2 hrs worth of work removing the
bad variac, and reconfiguring, and voila! a free variac. As for caps, I did
buy a commercial cap when I started this hobby, but caps can be made from
inexpensive materials that you can get in most harware stores, or as it
apprears, the plastic cup section of your grocery store :))
Anyway, 3 suggestions.....first, never be afraid to ask questions, of ask if
something might be available...you might get it for free.Especially if you
are a student, and it could be part of your education
second, Part of the fun of this hobby, especially when you are starting out,
is the challenge of building from scrounged materials. I enjoy that
challenge, and I try to make the coils look good, even though they are made
from junk at times.
third, make lots of friends on this list...These folks are very nice, and
willing to help. I have a bunch of friends on this list that happen to live
near me, and we have helped each other out with materials, and assistance
when needed.

Hope this helped!!!

Have a fun time, and play safe :)

Chris W