Re: lightning voltage

the voltage of lightning is estimated by knowing the current in the stroke,
then, knowing what the voltage drop per meter in an air spark at that
current is, then multiplying by the length of the stroke.

Check out http://home.earthlink-dot-net/~jimlux/lfacts.htm for a summary.  The
best book around is probably "Lightning" by Martin Uman, published by
Dover.  It runs <$10, and is in most libraries.