Re: Vortex gap loss measurements

In a message dated 9/1/00 6:45:15 PM Pacific Daylight Time, tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
writes:

>  The slope decrement figures are assuming that my probe is accurately
>  calibrated for voltage, though I suspect it may not be, so the figures are
>  useful only for relative comparison purposes.
>  The pressurized vortex gap decremented at 200V/usec.
>  The vacuum gap decremented at 235V/usec (17.5% faster).
>  The vortex gap breakdown voltage is about 20% higher than the vacuum gap at
>  the same gap distance.
>
>  Regards, Gary Lau

Gary,

Nice experiments.  It's good to see a measurement for that.  Now
it will be interesting to see if it translates into visibly longer sparks.
Then there's the question of the sync gap and what it's comparative
capabilities may be in further tests.  (I know that so far your sync
gap sparks were shorter than the air blast static gap sparks.)
I would think that your voltex gap might quench a little better than
the vacuum gap too, since I think pressure helps quenching besides
reducing losses.  Interesting too about the variable bang size and
variable voltage gap breakdown in the static gap....    The sync gap
has two series gaps.... is this hurting it's performance because of
more losses.... who knows?  Or is the
variable bps of the sync gap (120 bps average) helping matters?
Or is the possibly better quenching of the vortex static gap
helping vs. the sync rotary?   Tests will tell.

John Freau