Re: Vortex gap loss measurements

Off hand, I think you are in the right ball park.  The resistance is
inversely proportional to the arc column area (all plasmas being of about
the same resistivity).  The arc column area is going to be determined by
the arc current and the surface area of the column (i.e. how much can it
keep hot enough to keep ionized). If the arc radius were proportional to
current, area would be proportional to current squared, so resistance would
be proportional to 1/I^2.  Voltage drop would be k*  I * 1/I^2 or = k/I...
as opposed to a resistor, which would be = k I.  I'll have to go look up
the arc equations, but I'll bet that some form of constant voltage drop
(which is dependent mostly on the metals in the electrode and the gas) + a
nonlinear resistance would do it.