Does a variac with no load dissipate power?

Hello list

I feel a bit embarrased about asking this, but does a variac with no
load consume a signnificant amout of power? I imagine it dissipates
a little power through hysteresis + resistance etc - but I have no idea
of the actual amount.

I'm asking because I've just finished my 11kVA three-phase PSU
and I want to put a switch in that allows me to bypass the internal
variac and inductive ballasts. The circuit I have in mind won't isolate
the variac stack - it just switches between the variacs' output
terminals and a bypass line.

Thanks in advance for your help,

Gavin Hubbard