From: Tesla list [mailto:tesla-at-pupman-dot-com]
Sent: Wednesday, September 06, 2000 8:49 AM
To: tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
Subject: RE: FIRST LIGHT

Original poster: "Phillip Rembold" <prembold-at-gte-dot-net>

Ted,

Bert gave me some hints as to what you were doing but this Sounds like a
great system.
Don't know if you would be interested in a chance to "Show it off" to over
a dozen other coilers but I have been watering my RF ground in prep. for
our Oct. 14th Teslathon.
Your setup would be a nice addition to the other coils we will be showing,
Look forward to seeing you at the show.

P.S. Write that book.

TR: As for the book...I am thinking about it...if someone will guarantee I
won't get sued by the ESTATE of a stupid builder!

Phil
TCBFW

Original poster: "Ted Rosenberg" <Ted.Rosenberg-at-radioshack-dot-com>

Hello everyone.
It gives me great pleasure to announce that after some 11 months, many hours
of research, reading, asking questions, getting answers (and good ones too)
that I am announcing that I achieved First Light at 8:30 PM, Sept 3.

The specs follow:

POWER: Allanson 15KV, 60mA NST
SAFETY GAP: Standard Fritz MOV Array (thank you Terry!)
TANK CAPACITOR: EMMC using 5 perf boards. Each board has 20 Seacor
..047mf/1600V metal polys in series with 10Mohm bleeder resistors across
each. All perf boards in parallel to provide a total of .0117mF at 32KV
SPARK GAP: My own new design that I call the TTL, Ted's Totally Linear gap.
I will have many close up photos later on but for now...it is comprised of
nine 1.75 inch diameter by 2.25 inch long copper sweat couplings. Each has a
1/2x1/2x5 inch aluminum U channel bolted to it. They sit, side by side by
side on top of an 18" long ceramic tile ledge with the U channel over the
ledge, pointing downwards. Once you insert 2 business cards or 3 playing
cards between each tube and move each to take up the gap slack, you then
start to clamp a strip of wood down tightly on the U channel "handles" to
lock your gap setting using 10 1/4-20 machine screws in-between each U
channel.
After running the coil for several minutes, all tubes were only luke warm!
No fans required.

PRIMARY: 16 Turns, 1/4 Refridgerator tubing with 1/4 spacing. Threaded into
6 HDPE supports (took 4 hours). ID is 8 inches. OD is 24 inches. Current TAP
is at turn 13.0

SECONDARY: 6 inch diameter x 30 tall Plexiglas with about 24 inches of #22
AWG enamel and lots of Polyurethane to seal. Special connectors top and
bottom to allow fast RFG connection and toroid connection.

TOROID: 8 Foot (started) alumininum compressed duct, 6-inches in diameter.
22-inches OD, 9-inches ID. Two steel pie plates bottom to bottom with spot
JB Welds to secure the edges.

FUSE: Front panel mounted 15A fast blow Edison base fuse
EMI FILTER: 37A Corcom EMI filer wired backwards

CABINET: rectangle box on casters made of 1/2 birch ply. Sealed and painted
sky blue. 2 foot square by 1 foot high. Back, ventilated access door. Front
padlock modified RV AC interlock panel to prevent stupid people from
applying power. Brass interface plumbing to allow quick connection of the
#4AWG RFG cable.

WEIGHT: about 60 pounds
HOURS TO CONSTRUCT: About 630 (including reading everything on the list and
printing out dozens of e-mails)
COST TO BUILD (all new parts...zero scrounging) $600 estimated
WEIGHT LOST BY BUILDER IN TEXAS HEAT: About 5 Pounds
AVERAGE TEMPERATURE IN GARAGE: 105-110 deg.

Ted Rosenberg
Ft Worth TX
Coiler at Large