RE: blown NST's

I don't think your NSTs will work very well no matter what you do, until you
fix the shorts.  Hopefuly you only have some carbon tracking, and your wires
aren't melted.

I have "de-potted" one of these resin transformers once.  I have some pictures
of it, too.  You will have to use a hacksaw or hammer-and-screwdriver to cut
away the metal case.  I found that soaking this resin in kerosene for a day
would soften the resin enough to chip away a centimeter of it.  You have to
repeat this process of soaking for a few hours, chipping, and soaking again
for a couple days.  Eventually you'll be able to break off large chunks, and
this is the point at which you have to proceed carefully!  Even though you can
break off huge pieces, right down to the NST core, don't do it!  The secondary
windings are soaked with that resin.  If you take off a large piece, you will
likely tear the secondary windings apart and make the weekend's labor
worthless.  you might want to use a large-toothed hacksaw to carefully cut the
resin away from the core.

--Rick--