Re: Oscilliscope recommendation

Hi John,

	I have worked with everything from cheap Asian scopes to "secret" Tek
developmental multi-zillion sample storage jobs.  Even though they jacked
the price $200 recently, the Tektronix TDS 210 is still, by far, the best
bang for the buck out there!  About $1200 bucks, but 50 times better than
those odd $499 analog things you see around.  You may be able to find them
used for less now...

If you like fancy glitzy stuff but really no more functionality, the 3000
series is a second choice.  The floppy drive is super nice but
sloooooowwww.  The color and the persistence thing is cute but after
playing with ones at work, I need hard data, not menu after menu of
"colorful confusion"...

http://www.tek-dot-com/Measurement/Products/catalog/tds200/eng/index.html

I would consider nothing else.  I have not tested power arcs to the screen
or anything :-), but they seem to like Tesla coils just fine.

Being able to have frequency, peak to peak, true RMS, average sampling...
at the press of a button is extremely handy...  You can freeze a wave form
right out of the noise with ease (Harvey, are you listening ;-))).

Cheers,

	Terry