Re: Quench and break-rate, was Oscilliscope recommendation

In a message dated 9/10/00 11:14:59 AM Pacific Daylight Time,
tesla-at-pupman-dot-com writes:

>  > Results of tests:
>  >
>  > 1. The static series gaps quenched too fast and allowed a measured break
>  > rate of ~1200 BPS!! "
>
>  Hope this if if interest to someone :)
>
>  twk  τΏτ¬

TWK,

I realize that was from an old posting, but I just want to point out
that a gap (static or rotary), can never quench too fast.  The big
problem with any gap is trying to get it to quench fast enough.
The static gap in the post gave a high break-rate because either
it was set at a narrow spacing, or it used a very small capacitor
for the power capability of the transformer used, or something
similar.  The power vs. cap size relationship actually determines
the breakrate in a static gap system.  A fast quench is always
desirable if it can be accomplished without increasing the
tank losses too much.

John Freau