Re: Inert gas SG

----------
> From: Tesla list <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>
> To: tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
> Subject: Inert gas SG
> Date: Tuesday, September 12, 2000 5:13 PM
>
> Original poster: "Alex Madsen" <alexmadsen-at-netzero-dot-net>
>
> Inert gas SG
> I was thinking to avoid oxidation on SG one should be able to fill ones
SG
> with an inert gas such as He, Ar or CO2(will the co2 brake down -at- 15kv?)
and
> avoid the UV and x-rays produced in a vacuum. Unfortunately I can not
find
> the breakdown (dielectric) voltage for any of these gases. Even in my
Chem.
> and Phy. Handbook.

http://home.earthlink-dot-net/~jimlux/hv/insulgas.htm has those gases, as well
as others.

 Does any one know where I can find this info? My pan is
> to build an air-tight Plexiglas box to go over my SG with some valves in
it
> to let in the gas. If it is strong enough I will first evacuate it with a
> vacuum pump. If that does not work I would just have to flush it out with
> lot of gas which could get expensive fast!! I will also need to build
some
> sort of manipulator to adjust the SG.

Lots of folks have built sparkgaps (although not necessarily for tc's) that
run in all manner of gases.  Probably one of the most popular is hydrogen,
which has good thermal properties, and quenches quickly. An easy way to
make a hydrogen gap is to put some alcohol in the bottom of the container
for the gap, heat it slightly to vaporize the alcohol and force the air
out, then seal the container.  The gap runs in alcohol vapor, which under
the effect of the spark dissociates to hydrogen, etc.