RE: AWG 8 Wire

marc:
I am in a position to go to the factory (it's about 3 miles from the RS Corp
HQ campus) and ask the head honcho all the details regarding the item. I'm
sure he'll put me in touch with the engineering people. I'll send him email
today and report my findings to the group. You might be absolutely correct.
And it would not surprise me. I am convinced, based on audio "monster cable"
I have for my audio system, that this #8 is far superior. More later.

Ted Rosenberg-Technical Illustrator
RadioShack Product Development Group and
Geek Group Member #1030
www.thegeekgroup-dot-org

Subject: Re: AWG 8 Wire

Original poster: "Metlicka Marc" <mystuffs-at-orwell-dot-net>

ted,
if this wire is fine stranded and tined, then it is what we call
locomotive cable. although actual locomotive cable has a high temp very
soft , very durable coating. this fine strand tinned cable can actually
be prorated to a higher ampacity, thus a 12g solid or thhn is rated for
20 amps, this loco wire could be prorated for 30 amps by code. i would
actually have to see some to be sure but i think from what your saying,
this is the case. while gto cable is a 14g, the lesser strands still
rate it at 15 amps.
a good example of actual locomotive cable is industrial welding lead,
very soft, fine wires, i'll have to check on the actual class rating of
loco cable but right off hand i think it is "rhhw". of coarse there is
another cable we call motor lead "awm" that is fine strand funky stuff
too?
so not only is this wire easier to work with, it will carry more current
for the pri.for it's size, at high voltages the wire could be snaked
through some poly tubing or surgical tubing (silicone)
marc