SSG idle thought

Original poster: "Sundog by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-uswest-dot-net>" <sundog-at-timeship-dot-net>

    Hi All, Terry F,

  Just an idle thought as I was going to sleep last night....

 Since the IGBT's will allow precise control of the coil's firing, why not run
the tank circuit on DC with a small tank cap (1nf or so), and trigger the gap
with a signal from an audio source?  I can see the tank cap and probably the
SSG would get cranky at a few Khz breakrate, but with a small-capacitance tank
cap on a relatively small coil (say a 9/30), if you could keep the current and
heating under control, you'd have one wicked plasma tweeter.   Figuring the
range for human voices is about 200hz-2khz, triggering it from a microphone
would make a pretty impressive halloween prop.   The tiny capacitance would
lend itself well to a physically small coil, as well as keep the current down.
While I don't know if this will work, or the volume (many years ago I saw a
demonstration for a toob powered plasma tweeter vs electrostatic speakers, both
could hit incredibly clear highs with ear-splitting volume).  Sounds worth a
look to me.

 Ideas?  Comments?  What do you think Terry?

                     Just another idea from Outside The Box(tm)  ;)

    Shad