creepage discs

Original poster: "D.Wightman by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-uswest-dot-net>" <dwightman-at-mmcable-dot-com>

I figured that it was time to ask the list about the creepage dicsc on my model
8-888 coil. Before the discs were in stalled I had racing arc problems, After
tuning and tuning the problem still would pop up at high power levels. So I
turned to the web and after surfing for awhile I came upon
<http://area31-dot-org>http://area31-dot-org
Robert Stephens coil, Which sold on EBAY, Had these devices installed on it. I
decided to try them. The results were impressive. No more racing arcs, Power
levels improved. This is a rather short coil, Only 24 and 3/4 inches tall.
Others will say the only reason for racing arcs is an out of tune condition..
Possibly the added mass to the coil form changed the inductance, Thus creating
an in tune situation. To this day I wonder about that. As for the coil at 40
amps input it gives the best performance, at 50 amps the spark gap electrodes
start to burn up and there is no improvement in output.. Most likely the coil
is maxed out at 40 amps.
Work is nearing completion on the new power cabinet.The powerstats are
installed as well as the paralleling chokes from superior electric. It is a
stack of four in total I have decided to use 2 of the chokes from superior
electric and to make a 3rd myself for balancing the 2 pairs together. I will
get pictures soon, I have come across 4 cores for building the perfect chokes
in this application, they are torriodal and are about 7 inches in diameter with
a 3 inch open core, they are laminated with phenolic. I plan to get pictures of
these as well. In the last few weeks I noticed that a string of posts to the
list talked about ganging 1256-d powerstats, It was just luck that I found the
perfect cores for building those chokes talked about. I plan to give 3 of them
away, yes free! Those interested must only pay shipping, I believe they weigh
10 pounds each. I'll send a post to the list soon with a link to the pics

              D.Wightman

              <http://home.mmcable-dot-com/surplus>http://home.mmcable-dot-com/surplus

"Nature has stored up in the universe infinite energy.
The eternal recipient and transmitter of this infinite energy is the ether".
                                       Nikola Tesla. May 20, 1891.