Re: Q's ? Q's ? Q's ?

Hi Sietze,

>At 07:05 AM 4/5/2001 +0200, you wrote:
>Hi there fellow coilers,
>
>I have some questions nobody could answer me, so I figured mayebe you people
>can answer them.
>
>1. Is it possible to operate a coil in outer space, would it spark just as
>it does in an atmosfere or just sit there and built a high potential?

Since the vacuum of space would act like a very good insulator, It would
probably just sit there and warm up as the energy goes into the wire
resistances and such.  It may also arc through the materials it is made
from.  Probably would not work real well at all.

>2. Is it possible to operate a coil on an higher frequency than it was
>designed for. I mean Mhz instead of Khz or maybe even Giga!hertz? Would it
>just burn up more quickly or do nothing because of hysterislus (how do I
>translate that right?). Is is posible to make a coil for that specific
purpose?

Some small coils may get close to the 1MHz frequency.  However, to get any
real sparks, the coil has to be a reasonable size and the inductances and
capacitances are naturally going to get so large that the frequency will
drop.  I can't imagine every getting above 5MHz for anything practical.

>3 Is anyone familliar with the way Tesla looked at the universe? ( meaning
>he seemed to have had a theory how things worked( just like that Albert E.
>guy)) But no one does seem to know how it fits in to recent kosmology. Some
>people just say it is very wrong and can't be working with today's law's of
>physics, but maybe it can?

Since the list only deal with the practical side of coiling, this is
off-topic.  Obviously, this is a big subject but it does not help us make
coils ;-))

>4 Has any of you got an orderly (not the messy one's I make) spreadsheet in
>excel (I can just easily input( without the virus like macro's ofcourse)) on
>the subject of Tesla. Anything's welcome (just make sure it makes any sense
>to me (me not smart(can't read in your mind what you ment to say(so type it
>very explicite)))).

Someone does have a nice spreadsheet (Ed Sonderman?) but I can't find it
here...  I am sure someone will know.

>5 Are there any coilers in the dutch who are capabel of helping design and
>build a realy working coil. First experiments ended very sad with burn up
>coils, sparking home fuseboxes, screaming of relatives, los of dignity.
>So please give me some help to get started. I want to meet some coilers irl
>(in real live that is).

I am not sure.  We have them in Denmark and Sweden.

>6 I would also like to use some programs for designing purpose, do you know
>some nice one's (with url ofcourse(can't do without(since search on the web
>gives so much nonsense and mess))). And if possible I would like to use
>Linux programs since all my activity will be transeferred to linux (for some
>reasons it seems better to use Linux(to much to explain here(ask Bill G. why
>he made such a mess of are pc's(Linus T. does a better job!)))).

All the ones I can thing of are windows/dos but there are some high powered
programs by Paul Nicholson in LINUX but I don't think they do what you
want.  There are also a few JAVA based things around.

>If you 've got something to say just say it ad s.van.de.burgt-at-hccnet.nl
>Linux post and programs (netscape) send to s.vande.burgt-at-12move.nl
>
>Greetings from Holland
>
>Thanks for reading (if you can read this at 1024*768 you don't need glasses)

All the post to the list get converted to plain ASCII so I can read it at
1280 x 1024 ;-))

Welcome to the list!!

Cheers,

	Terry