Re: Need Ozone

Original poster: "Ed Phillips by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-uswest-dot-net>" <evp-at-pacbell-dot-net>

> The micro-coil I built with a homebrew 12V induction coil, which puts
> out all of 15 watts EHT, is a really nasty little ozone plant.  I
> can't play with this one without excellent ventilation, the problem of
> course is that because it's so cute and relatively safe electrically
> you tend to think there's no hazards at all, which isn't true.  It's
> also just the thing that encourages you to play with it for long
> periods at a time, as it's quite quiet and you can try all manner of
> experiments with its two inch sparks which you wouldn't dream of doing
> with anything mains-powered.  I was quite badly affected by it around
> a year ago.  My 500W NST coil by comparison is very tame O3-wise,
> though again a much worse O3 offender than the big coils at the Corby
> Teslathon.  The Q&D VTTC which is around 50W input gives next to no
> noxious gases at all, presumably because the plasma "flame" is sooooo
> hot - I can melt glass and metal in it.
>
> Dunckx

	I'm sure you get an odor.  How do you know it's ozone and not fixated
nitrogen (nitrogen oxides)?  The odor around my coils is quite different
from that around a germicidal lamp, which most surely IS ozone.

Ed