Re: Tesla Coil Regulations??????

Original poster: "Ed Phillips by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-uswest-dot-net>" <evp-at-pacbell-dot-net>

Tesla list wrote:

> Original poster: "Terry Fritz" <twftesla-at-uswest-dot-net>
>
> At 11:17 PM 4/6/2001 -0500, you wrote:
> >Lol, I've got a few..
> >!.
> >I was talking to my physics teacher about inverted Tesla Coils, and when I
> >told her what i was running that the time (6Kv by 60mA NST, 2' sec, 12ga
> >pri) She gave me this look, then went to another student.  Turns out after
> >the class, she called my parents at work to inform them of the "potentially
> >life threatening actions of their son".
>
> Hey!  That's new one!! ;-))
>
>         Although, "I" can think of a number of "fun" follow ups to tease
the poor
> teacher ;->  Perhaps they just need to learn more about Tesla coils
> themselves.  Maybe write you next paper about Tesla coils or offer to
> explain them to the class with a few equations and such.  Probably best not
> show one (a very small one) if and until "begged" with lots of permissions
> and ok's in today's school climate...
>
> Giving a class presentation like this is always fun because you are the
> only one who knows any of the answers.  This is always good because it cuts
> down on the reactions to Tesla coils like you describe.  You also come off
> looking like you know more than your teacher which is always fun ;-))  You
> can always put forth fun questions to the class like "Does Guass' law apply
> to Tesla coils since they are AC? ;-))  Naughty "me" would argue "no" due
> to slow wave propagation and see if the teacher could correctly prove me
> wrong ;->>
>
> Just a thought from Terry, who's physics teacher's were forewarned to fear
> him long before he came to their classes ;-))
>
> Cheers,
>
>         Terry

	When I was a kid I built a very small TC (3" streamers at best, and I
thought that was sensational) and took it to "parents' night" at
school.  Everyone thought I was a genius!!!!!!  By the way, our
physics/chemistry teacher had an interesting outlook on things.  At the
beginning of our first chemistry course he figured out which of us were
likely to get into serious experimentation and kept us after school one
day.  His message was essentially "I know you kids are going to try
things, so come to me and let me show you how to do things safely!".
Great guy, and none of us ever got hurt.  He even supplied us such
things as WP, sodium, nitrates, etc.

Ed