Re: Energy Conservation and Coils?

Hi Erik,

"They" may think that Tesla coils use as much energy as a small city or
something.  You may explain that they use maybe 1000 Watts but only for
very short periods of time when they are actually running.  Far less than
most household toys (like a computer) use in a day.  If a coil uses 1000
Watts and runs for 10 minutes total.  You have used as much as a 100 Watt
light bulb in one hour, and that is it.

One may try to avoid the peak energy demand times when it is really bad and
all that, but your working on your coil probably uses less electricity than
watching TV or reading with a light.

You can always buy a generator so you can still run your coil even during a
blackout :-))  We have even discussed using those UPS backup power supplies
for computers to run a coil (oops, my project, never got done ;-)) but it
has never actually been tried as far as I know.  Could give you something
fun to do while the lights are out...  Old ones that just need new
batteries can be had for practically nothing.

The UPS thing would be neat because they are small quiet and could be
easily disguised or hidden.  Then you could say that your coil is running
off energy transmitted from New York while the lights are out :-))  But
perhaps there is already too much miss information :-))

Cheers,

	Terry