Re: Tiny TCs

Original poster: "Malcolm Watts by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-uswest-dot-net>" <m.j.watts-at-massey.ac.nz>

Hi Steve,

On 7 Apr 01, at 14:47, Tesla list wrote:

> Original poster: "Steve & Jackie Young by way of Terry Fritz
> <twftesla-at-uswest-dot-net>" <youngs-at-konnections-dot-com>
>
> List,
>
> For experimenting with triggered spark gaps and other such research,
> at least initially, one doesn't need large, loud arcs from large heavy
> TCs to take the necessary measurements and draw conclusions.  And for
> easily transported and quickly set up demos, tiny TCs should have
> application.
>
> What is the list's experience with tiny TCs?  I am talking about
> secondaries wound with 30 gauge or smaller wire and less than two
> inches in diameter. (Smaller than Brian Basura's good performing
> mini-twin.)

In a word, fun. I usually run them from an SMPS EHT supply. Cranking
up the supply until the coil becomes a ball of corona or wispy
streamers, allowing it to arc to anything and everything without all
the trauma of wondering what is going to cark it next is great!

> For example, consider ordinary 1" PVC (1.3 inch OD) wound a length of
> 6.5 inch with #36 for about 1,200 turns.  Primary 15 turns of #10 wire
> (.11 inch diameter) spaced the same with 3.3 inch inside radius.
> Toroid about 2" by 6".  Resonates about 1 mHz.  I am assuming enough
> primary power to operate just under the secondary flashover or racing
> spark condition.  (And I am assuming being able to successfully wind
> the secondary with such small wire!)
>
> If TCs scale down OK and still maintain efficiency, seems like one
> could still get a 10 inch discharge from it, or perhaps 18 inches from
> bipolar twins.
>
> What has been your experience with miniature TCs?

The efficiency is still there in my experience.

Regards,
malcolm