RE: Spark gap

Original poster: "Ted Rosenberg by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-uswest-dot-net>" <Ted.Rosenberg-at-radioshack-dot-com>

Hi Jason:
I've been very satisfied with my 9 segment copper pipe linear. Basically, I
divided the total desired gap (.25) by 8 gaps and made each .03 <I rounded
for convenience>. the .25 is determined by the primary charging circuit. if
bigger, too much voltage must build up before firing. if much smaller, too
little. You want to reach that magic peak of just enough charge in your MMC.
Someone else can supply the formula...a techy thing.

This was for my 900W coil which performed flawlessly at the Hangmans House
of Horrors last October  here in Ft Worth TX.

Now I am replacing those 9 sweat coupling sections with tungsten carbide
donuts. Great wear. Not anywhere near the cleaning. Much smaller in size.
Each donut is .57 diam by .51 high with a .3 hole.

I am a firm proponent on static gaps for coils below 1000W

Safety First

Ted

Subject: Spark gap

Original poster: "Jason Petrou by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-uswest-dot-net>"
<jasonp-at-btinternet-dot-com>

I have a seven segment linear spark gap - what is the correct spacing to use
between each piece of copper pipe?

Jason