Re: Newbie with a few questions...

Original poster: "Gary Abusive by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-uswest-dot-net>" <gary_abusive-at-hotmail-dot-com>

>Original poster: "Terry Fritz" <twftesla-at-uswest-dot-net>
>
>Hi Mike,
>
>Sounds like the tuning is way way off.

Well, I'm by no means done messing with the tuning. But I'll give you
the specs and hopefully you can tell me if I've done something terribly
wrong. :)

Secondary is 2" PVC with a 10" winding length of 28 gauge magnet wire.
Wound with no spacing, using Bart Anderson's Java TC designer and
assuming thin ins. and .0005" between winds I get 662 turns.
( +/- who knows? )
The toroid is 8.5" with a 3" cord. ( I believe it might be too big as I
get better breakout with an empty can of Coors Light screwed on the top)
I won't be able to measure my primary cap until next week. I estimate
right now it's set somewhere between .008-.009 uF, but I have them (lame
SW beer bottles types) set up so I can reduce the capacitance easily by
raising them out of the outer electrolyte.
Primary is 8 turns of .25" copper tubing, inner diameter is 4", .5"
center to center spacing, outside diameter is about 1'.
The spark gap is a scaled down Gary Lau type sucker gap, (currently
without a sucker) and has brass electrodes adjustable from about .1-.5"
All connections are fairly solid and the wire I used is 18 gauge silver-
coated, and rated for 30KVDC. I am hoping this isn't too thin?

>Sorry for all the questions but they are needed to determine the
> >frequencies.

Not at all, thanks again for all your help.

with regards,
_Mike