Re: Water as an insulator

Original poster: "davep by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-uswest-dot-net>" <davep-at-quik-dot-com>

Tesla list wrote:

> Original poster: "Eric Davidson by way of Terry Fritz
> <twftesla-at-uswest-dot-net>" <edavidson-at-icva.gov>

> Hi All,

> I must say, it kinda scares me when I hear alot of folks talking about how
> good an insulator water is.  While it is very much true that extremely pure
> water can have a resistivity of more than 18 megohm cm^-2, however,  keeping
> water this pure is VERY difficult.  If you so much as added a few grains of
> ordinary table salt to a gallon of 18 meg water,  it would become
> dangerously conductive.  I'd rather make believe that water is always
> conductive, especially when a Tesla coil is in the neighborhood.

	Indeed.  The discussion of water was more for its technical
	curiosity.  We are talking about kilobuck to 10s of kilobucks in
	purifiers.  I would expect 'purifiers' for the 'home market'
	would be more or less useless.

	best
	dwp
  Just my